Monday, February 15, 2010

Adoption Journey: Foster Class #1

We had our first foster care certification class last night. It was great to put some faces to people I had been emailing at Arrow (our agency) and to meet families who are interested in fostering/adopting too. It was a very basic introduction type class so we didn't really "learn" anything new.
EXCEPT THIS! There is a huge need for certified foster babysitters. Because foster babies and kiddos are wards of the state not just anyone can babysit. So that means families out there sacrificing a lot already are not getting chances to go out for a dinner or movie sometimes.....EVER. Could you imagine??? So I'm spreading the word(and you should too). It only takes about 3-4 hours to become a certified foster babysitter. Selfishly I want lots and lots of friends and family to become certified because Adam and I would like a night out every now and then. But my prayer is that you think about what a blessing you could be for families who are giving so much. 4 hours?? and a couple hours here and there to babysit. If you can't or haven't felt called to foster or adopt I can't think of a better way to help serve the orphans in your own city.

*In the US there are approximately 500,000 children in foster care (Jan 2008)

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Okay, we are SO in! I will look into this and see what we can do so we can babysit any and all McManus foster kiddos! Love what you're doing and will do anything to support you and love on those kids!

snow.woman said...

Us too!! Where do we sign up!?! seriously.

Lorajean Kelley said...

Thanks for the idea Jen. We don't have the resources to be foster parents right now, but I could see us doing some foster baby sitting. Thanks again!

Jen McManus said...

Awesome and Hurray! To my Austin peeps; Arrow Family offers the class certification for free and so does Austin Stone. Once I have dates and times I'll let you know. LJ not sure how Oregon works but I'm sure you can find info online. I love you ladies!!

Amy said...

In oregon, i think you have to contact the county and they'll certify you. It's fun to follow your process . . . thanks for sharing!

jennijen said...

hey, add me to the list for info on becoming certified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...