Sunday, October 3, 2010
Together for Adoption
This weekend, we attended the Together for Adoption conference here in Austin. I totally wish I was a good writer and could ACTUALLY do a good job sharing with you about this weekend. I can't, but I will try to share with you the things God did lay on my heart.
1) Adam and I are doing exactly what we are supposed to be doing. I've never really doubted this, but this last week was a hard one on me. Lots of talks about J-man's case and a few phone calls from Bio Mom. This next week is going to be even harder because this could be our last with our son. This weekend was like someone hitting the refresh button. I needed that, and I needed to be surrounded by 1,000 people who are living radically to love the orphan.
2) Again and again this weekend, I felt sick to my stomach. Sick because the orphan crisis could be DEMOLISHED quite easily by the Christian church. Sit on that for a second. We, my brothers and sisters in Christ, could make it so that NOT one child is ever waiting for a family.
In Texas there are 12,191 children waiting to be adopted. There 18,466 Christian churches in the state of Texas.
3) Just the chance to meet so many incredible families/couples was so very enouarging and challenging to me. Encouraging because I didn't feel alone, and I KNEW that every Mother in that room could understand some of the feelings I have sometimes. Challenging because these couples/families are FREAKIN' Rockstars.
4) The time I spent worshiping our perfect Savior was indescribable. To have time to praise our perfect Father, weep (yes there were many tears from me), confess, and pray was EXACTLY what I needed.
5) It was just fun spending time with my hubby and our friends (new and old). It was fun to laugh, go on a date, stay up WAY too late, drink coffee (still hate it), and sharpen each other.
Again, I wish I could do a better job sharing with you, but I will leave you with some of my tweets from this weekend.
You could have 15 biological children and would still have to start at square one w/ an adoptive child." Dr Purvis
"You can't care for the orphan if you let the world corrupt you." Dave Gibbons
"We'll vote for pro life politicians but we turn our back on the children when they are actually born." Dave Gibbons
Could Satan's strategy simply b 2 make the church think we're doing something when we're really doing nothing? Dave Gibbons
There is a kind of religion that makes God smile -James 1:27
Over 19,000 children age out of the fostercare system every year in the US. Brothers and Sisters who will love these kids?
If every church took in one child there would be a waiting list for parents not children. Doesn't that sound freaking awesome?
Worried about the cost of adoption? God is not a deadbeat Dad and he will take care of you.
Just talked to couple that has adopted 9 kids from California's fostercare. Freakin Rockstars. God is moving, wanna move with Him?
Listening to Dr Karyn Purvis bringing it (and she's rocking skinny jeans). This lady is my hero.
"We need to serve, mentor, teach, and love our foster bio moms." @sjfults is teaching on radical and missional fostercare.
How can an orphan ever understand the love of God the Father when they don't know the love of an earthly father? -Matt Carter