Monday, August 16, 2010

Yup still reading those things called books!

I really wish I was able to read more than I can right now, but well life is just too much. BUT I have stayed true to reading the Word and a book or two that I feel will teach me something about my faith. I'm currently reading COUNT 'EM....two books.

Radical by David Platt



Wow I can't really say more positive things about this book. It is rockin my world and in a really good way. I really could go on and on about what I'm learning from this book and am actually thinking about posting about just that (What God is teaching me? Would you like to read that?). Here's a little preview for you to enjoy!

What is Jesus worth to you?

It’s easy for American Christians to forget how Jesus said his followers would actually live, what their new lifestyle would actually look like. They would, Jesus said, leave behind security, money, convenience, even family for him. They would abandon everything for the gospel. They would take up their crosses daily…

But who do you know who lives like that? Do you?


The Reason For God by Tim Keller



This book is great also, but I must admit is a harder read. Tim Keller is a smart dude and I have to NOT BE half asleep when I pick up this book. This book is simply about what the title says, the reason for God or why we believe. It's a great book for anyone. I love it because I grew up in the church and sometimes forget to "know" why I believe the things I believe. Here's a little something from the book:

‘Self-salvation through good works may produce a great deal of moral behaviour in your life, but inside you are miserable. You are always comparing yourself to other people, and you are never sure you are being good enough. You cannot therefore, deal with your hideousness and self-absorption through the moral law, by trying to be a good person through an act of the will. You need a complete transformation of the very motives of your heart.’

"A faith without some doubts is like a human body without antibodies in it. People who blithely go through life too busy or indifferent to ask hard questions about why they believe as they do will find themselves defenseless against either the experience of tragedy or the probing questions of a smart skeptic."

What are you reading right now? Would you recommend it? Have you ever read these two?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...